Saturday 6 December 2014

CM Punk Will Fight in the UFC, Former WWE Champion Announces at UFC 181

CM Punk will fight in the UFC Octagon.

The former WWE champion, who abruptly departed the pro wrestling world earlier this year, is switching over to full-time professional MMA. That's the scoop straight from the horse's mouth, as Punk himself broke the news to UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan Saturday night during the pay-per-view broadcast of UFC 181.

"It's awesome to be here. It's very awesome to be here," Punk told Rogan during the interview. "You know, this is something that's been in the back of my mind for a very, very long time. I have a background in kenpo, I've done Brazilian jiu-jitsu off and on for a very, very long time, but the idea of being able to step in the Octagon and find out what's inside myself and test myself is an opportunity I was not able to deny myself."

Punk (real name Phillip Brooks) said his weight class is still uncertain, though he will "most likely" fight at middleweight. A test weight cut will help him decide for sure, though, and Punk said "welterweight might be there." Light heavyweight, he said, is not an option.

No opponent or date were announced for Punk's Octagon debut.

"This is my new career, 100 percent," Punk told Rogan. "I'm going to go full steam ahead, all systems go."